

The picture of health, with those little rosy cheeks!!! Addi and I were soaking up our vitamin D, throwing rocks in the river yesterday.
Recently we have tried to become a little more healthy. To be healthy we are to exercise and eat right, everybody knows that!! So what does this mean is terms of dollars. I recently watched a PBS show about corn. Most of what we eat cheaply comes from corn. Most processed foods, snacks, fillers, and fast food are primarily corn, corn meal, corn syrup, high fructose and modified corn syrup. The beef and chickens eat a lot of corn these days as well. One can live incredibly cheap eating crap containing corn. However we can nutritionally starve ourselves by eating the American way!! So this week I attempted to buy as much fresh produce as possible and we will be attempting to eat our 3-5 servings of vegetables each day and our 2-4 servings of fruits. Since I shop once a week for three people (Kade eats only Dairy) this is A LOT OF PRODUCE. With Brian and I on the high end of servings, and Addi on the low end... The equivalent of fruit in medium sized apples per week for our family would be 70 apples and equivalent of vegetables in lettuce would be 91 cups. Good thing we don't live in Alaska cause this could cost you a fortune. So I purchased a lot of produce granted I didn't get 70 apples because you have to eat the colors of the rainbow right?
So on the heath kick besides exercise we switched our plastic bottles for stainless steel. Brian and I love our new water bottles, refreshing. So no more leaching of chemicals into our water or milk in Addi's case. So far her sippy has survived a couple of tosses without any trouble. The valve system works well if you drink from the right side. Also, for those families on the run who may misplace a sippy cup full of milk from time to time... plastic sippies absorb this nastiness and if you ever use it for water, well you can taste it and it is disgusting. For those of you using bottles, let me know what you find in way of glass or stainless steel. I haven't looked much because we don't use them at this time. I just always thought it was interesting that your supposed to boil the plastic (which breaks it down) to sanitize it...
So to save on health care costs, we eat right and try to use the right things which can be quite expensive but helpful in the long run... So if anyone has some good tips on healthy items all colors of the rainbow please comment on how your family works the numbers.
6 comments:
Here's how we get our rainbow of servings:
RED - hot tomales
ORANGE - starbursts
YELLOW - Mountain Dew
GREEN - Mike & Ikes
BLUE - M & Ms
PURPLE - Skittles
Seriously, though. We've had pretty good success with a juicer...just because you can put all the healthy vegetables in there and add grapes, etc. for a little bit of sweetness (for we sugar addicts). Good luck - be sure to pass on your success tips!
hahaha. I dont have any tips for you.
I eat ramen for lunch everyday, a glass of nasty ass yogurtish milk,*i drink that instead of "real milk" because im very sure that that "real milk" hasnt been in a cow for months!! EWW!! A couple handfuls of cereal and lots of water. Occasionally some fruit. Never any veggies because they wont let me eat anything raw because "its dangerous"..now where have i heard that before... And since i absolutly hate!!!!! spinach soup or asparagus soup or what the call vegetable soup here*this would be cook carrots spinach celray and any other vegetables and put them in a blender and pour it in a bowl. It looks like that stuff that cows have dripping out of their mouths when they are eating grass. On the weekends we eat mac and cheese. and of course rum and coke and wine of course wine whenever rodrigos dad or uncle or aunts give it to me:D Wonderful diet huh???
Disclaimer for anyone reading comments. My little cousin Shannon is living in Chili. She is living on love and having a great time. Too Bad Shannon you can't give up the noodles...
Oh I can give up the ramen, but then they would only be replaced with other noodles, with no flavor and nothing to put on them or, they would be replaced by rice which I am pretty sure I have eaten so many times that never in my life will I be sitting aroud saying hmmm I really really want some rice. PS if you have a Chilean wine that you really like, I'm gonna try and smuggle some into the US. I figured I could bring in a couple bottles as "gifts" I won't have a problem clearing Chilean customs, it'll be the US side that I would have problems. Rodrigo says hi and we send our love from ChilE!!
Ok, I don't have the muster to write a novel, but I could go on for hours about books to read and whatnot. Check out my goodreads listings and there are quite a few great books on there. Another one: Deceptively Delicious, The Food You Crave, etc, etc...
There is a glass bottle at Babies R Us that I use and I love it. It's called BornFree. They're awesome. The avent nipples fit on them if Kade isn't into the nipple on the bottle like Annie was. I think PeaPods also has a glass bottle. They are heavy so it's a hard for Annie to hold it, but for as little as she gets a bottle, I don't mind holding it for her.
To keep healthy I eat A LOT of fresh fruit and veggies. I also cook 90% of our meals and use small portion sizes. Quality not quanity in eatting. I really liked the granola and fruit you made for breakfast in MT! Very nummy and healthy and filling too. I use subsitutions for butter and shortening when baking, never add the salt it calls for and seek advise from my dietitian friend for new recipes and nummy salad dressings that are actually good for you and taste decent too. Oh and I went to a babyfood making class, so now and next children to come are going to have home made food, cheep and nummy!
Post a Comment