
I once tried my hand working with needles beyond the scope of sewing... it just wasn't my thing. I did knit 1.5 pairs of baby booties for Adelyn after a friend kindly showed me how. It was just a lot of counting and frustration. I couldn't stand missing or dropping or whatever I did with stitches. I just never got the hang of it. Crocheting wasn't much better but I liked how easy it was to start all over. My mother told me I was a stressed knitter because even with very large needles I have very very small stitches, it was never really free flowing or relaxing.
Well with baby #3 on the way I decided that he should be decked out. He very well may be my last and by golly he is going to look cute. Since I have a hunch my craft supplies will not be touched for months after he is born, i'm working hard on projects now. Some projects are not baby related but need to get done before #3 (Corny Circle AKA Motorcycle) arrives.
Therefore, I have been dusting off the old crochet hooks. Learning stitches all over again, actually reading the book and doing it the right way (not my style). I practiced squares and practiced again, with all the different basic stitches. Then I tried a pattern, then I said screw the pattern and stopped counting as I usually do and wallah i made my first little hat (not in picture but soft and cute). I went back to the pattern, and somewhat followed it and made the above little hat... Kind of really really proud of myself....
AND THE BETTER HALF OF WHAT IS PROBABLY A REALLY BORING POST FOR SOME....
Adelyn has been watching me play with needles and yarn. She's been begging for me to teach her. So tonight I taught her to finger weave just like I did when I was a kid. I was obsessed with it. And much to my delight, she caught on very quick and wanted to do it by herself. A proud proud moment was had and I just found myself staring in amazement... The child may not want to sit and learn flashcards but she is very smart. My little lefty is very much a right brained, artistic child.


2 comments:
I love crocheting, if you find a pattern of something you want I'll make it for you! I'm heading back to Chile on August 7th, I'll need something to do there to keep myself sane until I get all my stamps and am approved to work! Just let me know :)
I'm so impressed with Adelyn's work of art! Very nice - and super cute hat!
Post a Comment